Luke

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, January 30, 2009

Potty Training

Luke will be 3 on February 5th, and I hoped he would be potty trained by the time he turned 3. Two weeks ago I really stepped it up and made the commitment to help him get potty trained. I think the whole potty training thing has more to do with us the parents or the parent that is working with the child that is potty training. I think it is how we handle the situation, our attitude, and making it a priority for us. I put underwear on Luke and told him he had to use the potty, and made sure it was available where ever we were in the house so there was no excuse. Since pulling down pants and underwear can be a little complicated, and ideally it would be nice to just let him run around in underwear. Unfortunately its a little too cold here at the moment to do that. So, I put a long sleeve shirt and socks on him and let him go. In those two weeks he only went pee once in his underwear.

As far as home is concerned, he goes pee without any problem. This past week and a half we have incorporated pants into the equation and he does great. Every once in a while he does not get them pulled up just right and we make sure to help him. I can leave him alone in a room and not worry, he runs to the potty and goes. I am using pull ups for nap and bed time, and he has figured out that he can stall when its that time. I will put him down for a nap or to bed and about 5 minutes later I hear, "I have to go pee" and he gets up. This happens two or three times and then I get him settled down. When we have gone out, we use a pull up but so far he has stayed dry and has not had to go pee while we were out.I am waiting to experience that situation. We have low to the ground toilet's in our house, and he does good standing up and going pee too. I leave all the toilet seats up when ever he is awake. Keith is loving that, its every mans dream not to have to put the toilet seat down.

Luke has totally mastered the going pee part, now if we can only get him to go poop in the potty. Luke will try and he sits there and he says nothing is coming out. I have him keep trying but he just doesn't do it. I have tried bribbing him with treats, a new toy, and even going to chuckie cheese, but he just wont do it. He holds it unitl I put a pull up on and then he goes. I even catch him when he needs to go once I have put the pull up on and he he will sit on the potty, but does not go. He waits until I get busy doing something and then goes.We are working hard on this and trying to make the going poopy part a bad experience, so he will continue to want to try. If anyone has any ideas please share them with me. I will try anything if it will help it with this next step in potty training. I am so proud of him and he is half way there and is doing a great job!!

3 comments:

Rachel and Chris said...

Savannah and luke are only a month apart and we are doing the same thing! We have mastered pee but will absolutly NOT go poppies! she went once yesterday for the first time but it was only bc I said she couldnt get off till she went! She waits for a diaper @ nap time and poops! Good luck! We started earning buttons for going potty abd good behaior and then when they get a certain amount they trade them in...its kinda worked..sorry didnt mean to leave a novel! Miss you guys!

Travis, Shantell, and Family said...

I know this would not be very fun but have you ever tried to mix prune juice with something-or just give him prunes? That way he will have to go more than once a day. You might have a poopie situation but at least it gives him room for success! It is kinda like they say when you are trying to get them to pee-make them drink lots of juice so they have to pee more so then they have more success? Just an idea! We are definitely not experts on potty training but this is what a friend did and she said it worked! If you don't want to do this then he will get it over time! Keep up the good work

Melinda said...

With Marissa ...I printed out a small potty chart from online and added it above the toliet. I told her if she poops then she can add a lady bug sticker (lady bugs are her total favorite) on the chart ONLY when she poops. She LOVED the idea and poops in the toliet :) So maybe if you can find train stickers and do something similar that will work.

treats didn't work nor did bribery with Marissa - but the stickers did! :) OH and I let her put the sticker on her own chart (also make sure you keep the stickers up high so he can't get into them).